Friday, May 11, 2012

Czech it Out!

I know, corny title, but, hey, that's what all the shirts said in the tourist shops in the Czech Republic when we went there last week. Thanks to the beloved queen, we had May Break last week in celebration of both Queen's Day and Liberation Day.  With the ugly orange nail polish still clinging to our nails, two friends and I took advantage of the break to head south east to czech out the area.

Our first stop was Prague.  I have to admit, I didn't really know what to expect with Prague, even though I've always heard such great things.  However, I think it has made the list of the top three places that I've been so far.  The hostel we stayed at was amazing and it's such a beautiful old city. Here's a glimpse at some of the awesome things we saw and did. A lot of the time was spent just wandering the old downtown area.  There were so many old buildings that wandering around aimlessly was exciting enough.  We also went up to the castle on the hill with the cathedral and climbed a big tower on the hill to see an awesome view overlooking the city.














Our next stop was Vienna in Austria.  It was only a five hour bus ride on a really cheap bus line.  The drive was beautiful through the countryside of the Czech Republic and Austria.  We went to the magnificent gardens of the Schönbrunn Palace, the St. Stephen's Cathedral and wandered around town. There was a big festival going on that day that we were going through.  I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure we heard a Jimmy Buffet song in German.








On our last full day we took another bus and headed to Brno, Czech Republic, where we would be flying out of the next day.  It was a really pretty city and I believe they said it was the second largest city in the country, but it also had the feeling of a small city.  We have been very lucky in every city that we have been to to manage to get a bird's eye view of the city.  We happened to luck out again in Brno, where we climbed up a very steep hill to the castle on the top.







I feel so fortunate to have had all of the opportunities to travel that I have.  It's still hard to believe that I have been able to do so many things.  I think I've learned a lot from all of my traveling experiences and that Charlotte and I have gotten into a very efficient traveling groove with our adventures.  Other than becoming better at figuring out the logistics when traveling, we both decided that we've also gained a lot bigger appreciation for culture.  Having been to so many different places, we've been comparing and contrasting the atmospheres that we've felt in the different cities and really appreciating them for what they are.  We make a point to sample the local cuisine in places whether it be wienersnitchel, some sort of mixture of cabbage, potatoes and ham, various drinks or my new favorite food, Lángos.  These are a healthy combination of fried dough topped with cream cheese, garlic and cheese that we found at a stand on the streets.  Yumm!