Thursday, March 15, 2012

Oh the Places You Will Go


So I’ve been in Europe over a month and a half so far and I still sometimes have to remind myself that I am in fact here.  I made it one of my main goals when I came here to take advantage of as many opportunities as possible and to travel as many places throughout Europe that I can manage.  Luckily, there are a couple of other girls in my house, from Canada, who seem to have made the same commitment.  A lot of the European kids think we’re crazy with all of the stuff that we’re planning/ have planned, but I don’t think they get it. They get to live here their whole lives and can therefore travel whenever.  We have come so far and paid so much to be here that we are taking advantage of every extra bit of time that we have to travel somewhere cool.
Within a week we booked tickets to Edinburgh, Scotland; Berlin, Germany; London, England; Paris, France/somewhere in Spain TBD; and the Czech Republic.  Plans are also in place to look into going to Rome or somewhere else in that region.  We know it’s crazy, but how can we not do it?  We took our first trip this weekend to Edinburgh for three and a half days, and, while I’d love to talk about it now, I’m leaving in a few minutes, after being home for three days, to go to Berlin.  There’ll be posts on those two places early next week.  I’ve had to really commit myself to not procrastinating and getting stuff done early and during the week, but I’m not about to miss out on the chances of a lifetime.
That being said, it doesn’t seem like I’m really living real life right now.  I mean, who gets to say “Oh, I’m just going to Scotland for the weekend, no big deal.”  But it is a big deal; I’m going to Scotland for the weekend!!! I have to say, I loved Scotland so much and don’t know how any other trip can top it.  Then I have to stop and remind myself that all of these places that we’re going are sure to be awesome.  To think I was only planning to come to Europe for a couple of weeks during the summer.  It’s funny, but when we were in Edinburgh, we kept referring to Groningen, the Netherlands as our home.  It’s such a great place to live.  I don’t think it’s much of a tourist destination, but it makes an awesome home.  There aren’t a bunch of tourist attractions like in other cities, Amsterdam for example, but it’s such a quaint little city. (Although that might be an oxymoron)  Here’s a look at a couple of pictures from yesterday here…



There are going to be blogs and pictures soon to come about the past few weekends, but to give you a taste of what’s to come, think kilts, haggis, and castles.   (And whatever Berlin might have in store for us)  I hear there’s a wall there.